When we hear the word “leader” we might assume, for example, that it refers to someone at the head of a political party. At least that’s the misconception that I had. The first thing I wonder was “How can I lead others if I don’t know how successfully lead my own life?”.
Your Own Life
Martin Luther King Jr. once said, “I came to the conclusion that there is an existential moment in your life when you must decide to speak for yourself; nobody can speak for you”.
That’s a powerful statement. We usually think that others can do or say things better than us. The fear that paralyzes a person may come from ignorance, lack of conviction or low self-esteem. I would like to share some ideas that have been helpful to me.
· Silence. Find a place where you can be away from the noise. By noise, I mean all the things in your day that create distractions like social media, tv, busy environments, worries. Use that time to direct your attention into your own thoughts.
· Focus your attention on yourself. Remember who you are, which challenges have you faced to get where you are now? We spend many hours, daily, listening to others. How much time do you take to listen to yourself?
· Let go of the situations or people that are toxic to you. We carry around a big baggage that don’t let us move forward. By doing so, we are wasting time that we could be investing on something uplifting to us.
· Learn something new every day. Even the simplest lessons are a deposit into our knowledge account. You never know when can be handy. Is there a skill that you want to develop? What about creating a new habit? Of course, it has to be something that you enjoy. That will make you happy, I promise.
· Share what you’ve learned. This will help you reinforce the concepts in your mind. But the most important aspect to take away from it, is that you will be communicating. Engaging in a conversation and discovering what other’s think, will open your mind to new ideas.
At that point, you will find your own voice. Then, the only person that will truly speak for you, is You.